Feel the freedom of touring, allowing you to fully explore the mountain and surrounding areas. Stick on some skins and venture out straight from our village on the designated 'up-trails' and enjoy the wide open space all to yourself and find your new favourite trail.
New to Touring?
Touring involves using specific equipment that allows participants to hike up the mountain and then either ski or board back down. This includes specific bindings, skins, split boards and more, and can be rented at a variety of rental outlets at Falls Creek. It allows those who are willing to explore, a whole new boundless experience.
Before going out, ensure you have read and understand the safety guidelines below, and have the correct equipment. Once you're ready, it's time to free the heel and earn your turns.
There's no better way to experience and learn about the backcountry than a tour with Falls Creek Guides. Bring the mountains closer to you and tour the unforgettable Victorian alps with these knowledgeable local experts.
These memorable trips range from single day to 4 night fully catered experiences.
As ski/board touring takes place in the rugged and unregulated mountains, it's essential all participants follow these safety procedures and use common sense.
- Read and understand all the safety guidelines
- Go out with a qualified guide if you haven't been touring before
- Plan your trip in advance and share your plans and route with someone
- Stay within the designated in-bounds area if you're not trained in avalanche safety and carrying avalanche equipment
- Regularly check the weather forecast and contact Ski Patrol if required on 5758 1200
Let's be honest; we like to make things easy for us. That's why we have these easy grade up-trails to help get you to the top of the mountain:
- From Windy Corner, up the Bogong High Plains Road to Pretty Valley Road to Wombats Ramble, then up Wombats Ramble to Cloud 9. This is the recommended route for beginner ski/snowboard tourers.
- From Slalom Plaza, up Wombats Ramble to Cloud 9, then across to the top of The Y's, and across to the top of the Summit following the ski area boundary poles
- From the Village Bowl, up Broadway to the exit of the Summit Home Trail, then up the Summit Home Trail to the top of the Summit.
Due to current snow conditions, the initial in-bounds touring area includes Wombats Ramble, Junction-Broadway, Nastar Race Course, Highway 83, Drovers Dream and Panorama.
Once there is sufficient snow coverage, the in-bounds touring area will be changed to the northern side of the resort, from Wombats Ramble around to Wishing Well. This includes the Summit and Maze areas (see the map below with the area boundary highlighted in yellow).
When touring in-bounds, ensure you follow all signage and closed areas, as they have been placed there for your safety.
Sign up for our newsletter
Want to hear the latest news and what's on at Falls Creek?
Sign up to our email newsletter and you won't miss a thing.