Travelling by road is a great way to get to Falls Creek and take in the natural beauty of the North East Victorian countryside.
Driving to Falls Creek
Falls Creek is the closest alpine resort to Albury, an easy day’s drive from Sydney & four and a half hours drive from Melbourne. You can reach Falls Creek in a comfortable day of driving from most locations in Victoria and New South Wales.
From Sydney or Melbourne the best way is to travel along the Hume Highway and take the turnoffs at either Wangaratta (from Melbourne) or Albury (from Sydney). For those in the sunshine state, Falls Creek is not as far as you think - it can be comfortably driven over two days along the Newell Highway with a stop-over on the way.
In winter the only approach is via Mt Beauty. Outside the snow season there is an additional approach via Mt Hotham and Omeo which is better suited to those traveling from the Gippsland region.
During the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles entering the resort carry snow chains. This includes AWD and 4WD vehicles and applies from the season opening on June 9 through to the last day of the season on October 7.
The sheltered approach to Falls Creek means the road is not usually affected by snow and ice conditions. In most cases chains are only fit during or directly after heavy snowfall, and usually only for the final 5 - 10km. Be mindful of ice patches however as these can form with clear conditions, particularly in early morning.
Snow chains can be hired from a number of outlets in Myrtleford and Mt Beauty on your way to Falls Creek. For up to date information on chain fitting status make sure you check the snow report page on your way.
Resort Entry and Parking
- LP gas vehicles perform best on petrol in alpine regions
- Ensure you have adequate fuel - there is none
available at Falls Creek
- Avoid sudden braking or acceleration when driving in icy conditions
- Drive with your headlights on in foggy conditions
- Do not drive with accumulated snow on your vehicle - doing so is illegal and creates hazards to other vehilces
- Use a stiff plastic scraper to clear ice from car windows (never pour hot water on an icy windscreen!)
- You may need a shovel to dig your car out of the snow - you can rent these from Visitor Information
- Always fit chains when advised - it is a good idea if staying for a few days to fit chains when you park
There is no fuel available at Falls Creek so it is a good idea to fill up in Mt Beauty before driving the last leg to the resort. During summer if you are approaching from Omeo there are petrol stations there also.
If driving a diesel vehicle you should use alpine mix diesel which is available from the pump at most service stations around Mt Beauty, Bright and Myrtleford.