History of the Resort - Official Home of Falls Creek Alpine Resort
|The basis of Mt Beauty, Bogong and Falls Creek was housing for workers on the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme. Due to boggy conditions horses often lost a shoe in the area, hence the first name for Falls Creek was from graziers who named it ‘Horseshoe Creek’.|
| it was renamed ‘Falls Creek’ by the Country Roads Board during a road survey for the State Electricity Commission (SEC) in 1938. The first building to be erected in the Falls Creek area was a weather recording station for the SEC around 1946-47. Mr and Mrs St Elmo Beveridge lived in this hut and around 1949 they built a rope tow on the site where the Summit Chair is now situated. |
In 1948-49 Bob Hymans built a small lodge called Four Seasons and in 1957 he also built the first chairlift in Australia at Falls Creek. The Four Seasons Lodge is still standing today however by 1961 the St Elmo’s rope tow and Hyman’s chair had become unreliable and the Summit and Village T-bar were installed. The impact of these local legends lives on through the naming of Summit ski runs St Elmo’s Slide.